10 curious facts about oranges
Thanks to its extraordinary flavor, it is one of the most popular fruits worldwide. The orange can be used in countless sweet or savory dishes, in juices, sauces or jams, and is also known for its many therapeutic properties. therapeutic properties.. To learn more about this fruit, we bring you today different curious facts about its history and production.
1. The first oranges were probably cultivated in Southeast Asia about 4000 years before Christ.
2. The Arabs introduced the bitter orange tree in Spain in the 10th century but the sweet orange was not cultivated until the 15th century.
3. In the 15th and 16th centuries, Spanish, Portuguese and Dutch sailors carried oranges on their ships to prevent scurvy and so this delicious fruit reached the New World. On his second voyage, in 1493, Columbus took orange seeds to America.
4. Orange flavor is third on the list of favorites, behind chocolate and vanilla.
5. The Spanish word "naranja" comes from the Sanskrit word narang, although it is probably not native to this language but to the Dravidian languages. If you want to know more about the origin of this word, you can visit this page.
6. Approximately 70 million tons of oranges are produced worldwide. Spain is in the sixth place of producers with almost 3 million tons per year.
7. 85% of all oranges worldwide are used to make juice. Oranges are the most consumed fruit in the world, if oranges used for juice are also considered. Out of two liters of juice drunk worldwide, one liter is orange juice.
8. There are more than 600 varieties of oranges.
9. In Spain there are more than 35,000,000 orange trees.
10. Just like the color, oranges symbolize vitality, strength and endurance. Oranges are also known as "the fruit of the gods".
If you want to order Valencian oranges online home delivery, visit our website citrusricus.com. For know more about this world as well as all the news and interesting recipes, become a fan of our websitebecome a fan on our Facebook or subscribe to our blog.