Kallawayas and roasted oranges
The Kallawayas belong to a millenary culture in the high plateaus of Lake Titicaca in Bolivia. They are part of the Aymara people and stand out for their inherited knowledge of natural medicine. In 2003, the Kallawaya culture was declared by UNESCO as a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity. Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity..
These medicinal advisors provided their services in solidarity and free of charge, receiving only food and shelter in exchange. The Kallawaya were itinerant doctors who taught their knowledge to the Incas and, later, also to the Jesuits.
Even today, many Bolivians, especially in rural areas, still consult a healer or shaman before resorting to Western medicine. The latter is expensive and, in addition, the doctors only speak Spanish and not the languages of the indigenous people and do not appreciate their culture.
And what does all this have to do with oranges?
The Kallawaya grow their oranges at an altitude of between 1,700 and 2,700 meters. They recommend using fire-roasted oranges oranges roasted over an open fire as a remedy against respiratory infections. When roasted, they produce a syrup that is very good for respiratory ailments. Just like baked apples, they are perfect for curing colds and are also an ideal dessert because of their exquisite flavor.
For this reason, we recommend you try these two recipes for baked oranges. Both are very simple and you only need a few ingredients. This autumn-winter, take care of yourself and your family with roasted oranges!
ROASTED ORANGES WITH DRIED FRUITS
- Oranges from citrusricus.com
- Honey (the amount depends on whether you want it more or less sweet, we recommend approx. 1 teaspoon per orange) and optionally a little brown sugar.
- To decorate this delicious dessert you can use chopped almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts. If you like raisins, they are also very tasty.
- Peel the oranges removing also the white peel so that the dessert is not bitter. Here you can read how to use the peels..
- Cut the oranges in half and place them in a baking dish. You can roast them in a traditional oven or in the microwave.
- Now spread the honey over the orange halves as well as the chopped almonds (and raisins and brown sugar to taste).
- In the microwave it takes about three minutes, in the oven about 10 - 15 minutes.
This delicious dessert and natural cold remedy is ready, enjoy!
WHOLE ORANGES WITH CINNAMON
- Oranges (the quantity depends on the number of guests) from citrusricus.com
- Brown sugar (one teaspoon per orange)
- Cinnamon stick or powder
- Orange liqueur or wine
- Preheat the oven to 200º.
- Peel the oranges and season them with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Wrap the oranges in aluminum foil. Add a teaspoon of liqueur (or wine) and close the package.
- Bake for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
This recipe can also be made with unpeeled peels. As our oranges are not chemically treated, the peels can (and should) be used perfectly well. Cut off the upper pole of the oranges and place them in a baking dish. Dress them with brown sugar, a little wine and a sprig of thyme. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at a temperature of 200º.
And they are ready to serve! Eat these delicious oranges at night, before bed or even for breakfast. They are simple to prepare and very healthy.
If you want to order Valencian oranges online home delivery, visit our website citrusricus.com. For to know more about this world as well as to know all the news and interesting recipes, become a fan of our websitebecome a fan on our Facebook or subscribe to our blog.
Cover image from http://alosorigenes.blogspot.com.es/2012/06/pueblo-kallawaya.html