How to preserve citrus fruits?
Citrus fruits such as orangesoranges, tangerines or lemons ripen on the tree. Once harvested, they can easily be stored for a week or more at room temperature and a little longer in the refrigerator. But what is the best way to keep all their properties?
The best preservation starts with the purchase. Our oranges are harvested the same day they are shipped, we make the best selection, so they arrive at your home fresh and at the optimum moment of ripeness. The best fruits are the ones that have more weight in relation to their size because they are full of juice.
- To preserve them optimally, it is best not to pile them up so that air can circulate between them.
- We recommend storing them in a cool, dark and ventilated place.
- The worst thing for oranges is humidity, so make sure they are in a dry place.
- If you want to keep the fruits for more than a week, it is best to store them in the coldest part of the refrigerator in closed plastic bags, they will last 4 weeks or more. This is what America's Test Kitchen has found. It is best to remove fruit 2 to 3 hours before eating so that they are at room temperature.
- If any fruit starts to spoil, separate them so that the other fruits are not affected.
- Oranges and tangerines should be stored separately from other fruits.
Another popular method is to freeze fruit (although we always recommend fresh fruit, which tastes best):
- Citrus fruits can be frozen peeled or in segments.
- Fruits can be sliced and frozen in trays. Once they are completely frozen, they can be stored in bags and left in the freezer.
- You can also freeze the orange peel or zest in a plastic bag or tupperware to have it on hand whenever you need it, for desserts, cakes, etc.
- You can also freeze the juice, e.g. in ice cubes to use them later for different drinks or to add orange flavor to a dish. Another option is to make ice cubes with citrus slices.
If you want to order Valencian oranges online at home, visit our web page citrusricus.com. To learn more about this world as well as to know all the news and interesting recipes, become a fan in our Facebook or subscribe to our blog.