Orange sponge cake from Aljarafe (Seville)
This orange sponge cake from an old recipe book from the Aljarafe region of Seville is very easy to make and has an extraordinary flavor. We recommend it for breakfast or a snack.
Thanks again to Pati Ventana for her collaboration with us. Visit her blog Divina Cocinayou will find many delicious recipes. If you do not know what to cook, it is the perfect place to find different ideas.
Ingredients for a large cake (12 servings):
- 5 eggs
- 2 glasses (of water) of sugar
- 1 glass of natural orange juice from citrusricus.com
- zest of 1 orange (without further chemical treatment, like ours!)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla powder or vanilla essence
- ground cinnamon
- 1 glass of sunflower oil
- 1 sachet of royal yeast (16 gr)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3 cups of flour
- Sesame (optional)
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Mix the yolks with the rest of the ingredients (except the sesame seeds) in a deep bowl.
- When the dough is well mixed, add the egg whites whipped until stiff.
- Grease a wide, flat baking pan with oil or butter and fill it with the batter.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake in the oven (180º) for approximately 45 minutes until it is well cooked inside (check with a toothpick) and the surface is golden brown. If too browned, cover with aluminum foil. Do not open the oven during cooking because it may drop when it cools down. Let it cool in the oven.
Chocolate coating: In the photo it has been covered with a mixture of chocolate bar (75 gr) with two tablespoons of cream and a teaspoon of butter. Melt everything in the microwave, mix well and give the coating to the biscuits cut into portions. Let it cool and harden before serving.
Tips and comments
Instead of the chocolate frosting you can use a glaze of orange marmalade or bitter orange marmalade. Melt it for a minute in the microwave and it will warm up the cake a little.
If you want to order Valencian oranges online at home, visit our web page citrusricus.com. To learn more about this world as well as to know all the news and interesting recipes, become a fan in our Facebook or subscribe to our blog.
Photos: Divina Cocina