5 ideas for using orange peels
The orange peels not only contain not only contain numerous health properties, they can also be used for different crafts or to decorate the house. Here are 5 ideas for using them. As you will see, it would be a waste to throw them away.
1. In the kitchen
You can use orange peels in numerous recipes. It is important that you use oranges that have not undergone any chemical treatment, such as ours at citrusricus.com. Here are some recipes:
- Marmalade with orange peel
- Candied orange bread
- Candied orange peel (with this recipe you can also make candied oranges)
- Orange peel powder (for sponge cakes, custards, creams, ice creams, king cake, fish...)
- Orange tea. You can use black, green or white tea and add a little orange powder to give it an exquisite flavor. You can also make an infusion with pieces of orange peel.
- Orange peel syrup. You only need the peel of 5 oranges, 2 kg of sugar, 1.5 liters of water and 35 g of citric acid. Peel the oranges, best with a potato peeler, making sure that none of the white layer remains. Then cut the orange peel into strips and mix all the ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over low heat for 2 or 3 hours, stirring from time to time. Then wait 3 days. Strain the orange peel and store the syrup in glass jars with lids.
2. For cleaning
- Cleaner organic all-purpose cleaner with vinegar and orange peels. This cleaner is natural and environmentally friendly, very easy to prepare and very economical.
- A fresh orange peel can be usedto clean stainless steel. It is simply used as a sponge.
3. For the elaboration of cosmetics
Due to its numerous health properties, orange peel is perfect for making different types of cosmetics. Here are some recipes:
- Orange essential oil
- Use orange peel powder to make creams, scrubs or homemade soaps.
- Exfoliating scrub with orange peels
- Orange peel mask
- Yogurt and orange peel mask against cellulite
- For clean and shiny hair: Leave orange peels in vinegar for a few days, strain and add a little water. Use this liquid to rinse your hair after washing. It will be totally clean and have a nice shine.
4. Dehydrated orange peels for decorating the house
It's very simple: First cut the desired shapes out of the orange peel, you can use cookie cutters for this. Then you dry them naturally, in the oven or on the radiator. Here are some examples of what you can do.
Photo by https://www.ambientebio.it/alimentazione-biologica/come-realizzare-degli-addobbi-natalizi-con-le-bucce-degli-agrumi/
Photo from https://wonderfuldiy.com/wonderful-diy-orange-peel-christmas-ornaments/
5. To make crafts
With a little imagination and creativity, you can do many things with orange peel. Here are some examples.
- Here you have a link to a video that explains how to make orange peel jewelry..
- Mikamuki or the Japanese art of peeling tangerines. (Here you will find a curious article on how to create fun figures out of orange peel).
- To make an oil lamp:
We hope you liked all these ideas for using orange peels!
If you want to order Valencian oranges online at home, visit our web page citrusricus.com. To learn more about this world as well as to know all the news and interesting recipes, become a fan in our Facebook or subscribe to our blog.